Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A lot of people have been telling me that they like my Fan-Fiction that I posted on my Deviant Art account, Arrietty 5 Years Later.  I didn't really think too much about writing it because when I got word that Studio Ghibli was making this movie, it was many, MANY months ago.  I ordered the DVD from Japan on Blu Ray to be shipped to my house the day it came out and I was simply amazed by it.  I bought the art books, the film guides, the film comics, just about anything one could have.  I love G/T and I love anime so this was like the two of them having sex.  Haha!

I thought the movie was amazing and the VA's did not disappoint.  The first thing that I wanted to do was write a fan fic.  I always wrote them for my own personal pleasure, but I never thought about letting other people read my work.  That simply lends itself to criticism and comparisons to the original work.  I didn't know if I was ready for that, but my husband said to give it a try.  Because like he said, it was a fan fic about two things that I was overly passionate about.  So I did it!

I didn't think too much about it at the time, but now that the movie is in the states and people are seeing  it, I was so happy that so many people were checking out my fan fic and eventually my other short stories!  A lot of people say G/T literature isn't for everyone because too many people think of it as a fetish, but I never felt that way.  I loved movies and books like The Borrowers, Thumbelina, The Indian in the Cupboard and Faery Rebels.  I don't think G/T will be the next vampire/werewolf trend, but I think people are becoming more open to watching G/T and reading about it.

I hope that my book will fit into this equation.  I'm working extra hard on it now, and though I didn't see the US version of The Borrower Arrietty I have heard pretty good reviews from those on DA.  I don't know, I don't like the VA's, but I really never do, especially if I've seen the Japanese version first.  I think Sho/Shawn sounds too old, but I think the actual dialogue sounds okay from what I've seen in the previews.  I dunno, I will probably buy the Disney Blu-Ray just to say I have it.  I hope there are some specials in it that weren't in the Japanese version.

But I digress.  I'm just so happy that my DA sight is doing so well.  I want others to read what I am taking time to write but I also want them to enjoy it!  I just love the fact that both BBC and Studio Ghibli have put together some great works with GT in it!  What will the US bring?

I hope the answer isn't Jack and the Giant Killer. :-(

2 comments:

  1. Well... I have to say that - not being a fanfic reader - I didn't read your Borrowers one either. ^^'
    Still, I'm happy to hear that it's being successful! ^^

    And yeah, when I heard about Studio Ghibli making this movie I was overjoyed... G/t wrapped up in one of the most enjoyable forms possible ^^ Seems like heaven, no? XD
    Plus, I agree about it gives some better chances to G/t in "mainstream" art in these days. And even if it won't become the next vampire case (hopefully) I do believe that there still is the same kind of dangerous allure that can make G/t successful in that field. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that is okay. Fan fictions aren't for everyone. Thank you though!!

    Yes! yes! That is exactly what I thought when I found out Studio Ghibli was taking on The Borrowers.

    Exactly, I couldn't agree with you more. :-)

    ReplyDelete